The statutory purposes of the Casa de Mateus Foundation are the preservation of the House, the study of its archive and the promotion of cultural, scientific and pedagogical activities.
The Casa de Mateus was built in the first half of the 18th century by António José Botelho Mourão, 3rd Morgado de Mateus. This replaced the former family house which had stood on the site since the beginning of the 17th century. In 1910, it was classified as a National Monument.
Come and visit the Casa de Mateus. Travel with us on a visit to the House and Chapel, Library, Gardens and Winery.
The earliest parts of the gardens are traditionally attributed to Diogo Álvares Botelho Mourão, Archdeacon of Covilhã and brother of the 3rd Morgado, who built the House. These are situated to the east and consist of a staircase in the central axis of the building and the adjacent trellises.